Fantastic camera, but plastics used are a little too soft.

Started Jun 26, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gohunter
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Fantastic camera, but plastics used are a little too soft.
Jun 26, 2013

Size is a Blessing

Thank goodness Olympus have taken us back to the size of the OM-1. I was so sick of carrying around big cumbersome DSLR's and lenses that weigh half a ton, that it was a breath of fresh air when the OM-D came out. It is small and convenient to use, gives superb picture quality and looks fantastic, especially in silver. I already had an E-P1, so I knew the quality of the Olympus kit. Virtually without hesitation, I bought an OM-D. Pleased? I am over the moon with the handling and photo quality. When I was told in the shop that I could hand hold at 2 seconds exposure, my reaction was understandably "Yeah, sure!" I thought it was typical salesman's bullsh*t, but I tried it and found it to be true! I have a photo on my flickr account showing my mum's fireplace hand held at 2 seconds and although not perfect, it is amazingly sharp considering the shutter speed!

The image quality is just superb for what I want, without needing a camera that is too heavy and cumbersome to carry.

Menu Navigation

Initially, I found some of the features difficult to find in the menu system, for example changing it to record in RAW and JPG seemed to take forever to find in the menus. However, once used to it, it becomes easier to navigate. It is not the best menu system, but just like any other complex menu system for an enthusiast camera.

Plastics Quality

The only thing I find disappointing about the camera and lenses is the softness of the plastics used in construction. The kit lens 12-50mm is of good quality with largely metal construction, so no complaints there. The body and kit lens have metal mounts, which is good. The camera body though has a plastic top (mine is the silver version), and this is EXTREMELY easy to mark with small scratches and even dents in normal careful use! I always keep my kit in excellent condition, in protected camera bags and with items away from one another so they don't knock together, but still it is getting marked, which is very disappointing. The same is true of the 45mm f1.8 portrait lens, which is all plastic construction with the exception the mount which is metal,  and the 40-150mm f4-5.6 R lens is the same but this time even the mount is plastic.

gohunter's gear list:gohunter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Fujifilm X-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
gohunter's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow