Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mitchhh
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Help for a beginner
10 months ago

I am an amateur photographer who's dream is to become a sports photographer - mainly in football. The question i have is whether or not i should invest in some new equipment especially suited to sports photography. I currently have a Nikon D3000, which i purchased about a year ago to help get me started and to feel comfortable with using a digital SLR. This came with a standard Nikon 18-55mm lens and i also received a Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Lens for Christmas. I realise that this is not exactly suited for sports photography but it was a cheap alternative with a high zoom and one that could again get me started with using high zoom equipment.

I am 18 years old and have just completed my first year at college studying photography, in which i passed the course and obtained a Merit (equivalent of a B). I am now comfortable with the equipment listed above and also understand and am competent at manually changing ISO, apertures and shutter speeds to take photographs.

So to reiterate, my question is - should i invest in a new lens with a lower minimum aperture, that is specifically made for sports photography? I should also point out that the 70-300mm lens has quite a slow auto focus and does not have vibration reduction. Both of which i feel, are needed to help improve my shots. I am also unsure of whether or not i should invest in a new digital SLR, one that can handle taking burst shots better, and anything else that may benefit me in the long run for sports photography.

As i said, i am only 18 and am far from being a pro photographer, but i feel now is the time to invest in some new equipment that can last me for a good number of years and that i can use if and when i get a job in the sports photography industry. I read a post on this topic before and people spoke of trying to run before you can walk and i fear that i may be trying to invest before i am ready. Although, at the same time, i'm going to have to invest one day so why not now, so i can familiarise myself with the equipment and begin taking higher quality photographs as my plan is to go to different sporting places and build up a portfolio of work that i can send off to different places (magazines, newspapers etc.). I also don't necessarily want to buy a solution for now at a medium price, only to then have to buy a high priced solution in the future if i get a job.

I REALLY appreciate ANY feedback that anyone can give me as i am really confused as to what i should do. If you have any questions to help you give some feedback i will be more than happy to answer. Thank you for reading and thanks in advance for any feedback you can give me.

Mitch.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow