The Best Article on Photography in Years.

Started Jun 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
pjsalty
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?
Re: The Best Article on Photography in Years.
In reply to phazelag, Jun 26, 2013

I found great holes and untrue statements in both articles, but this thread has been enjoyable to follow as we  attempt to justify our photography behaviors in a new era.   Here are my observations as I take amateur photos of my family life as though my life is the Titanic and I must document as much as I can before it sinks:

1.  The best way to truly enjoy an event is to not bring a camera or a cel phone.

2.  The necessity of a cel phone for many situations is exaggerated, and they should be left at home more often to avoid the temptation of taking useless photos (and to avoid talking, texting, and web browsing in socially inappropriate situations.) Our family of 5 gets by with just one iPhone between us.

3.  iPhones etc. take terrible photos in many situations, and it is usually worth bringing a proper camera. However, it is bloody amazing when I am on a chairlift in Whislter and I receive a text from my cousin in Bondi beach with a live photo attached. That is fun and just plain awesome, and that is the sort of thing that I think camera phones should we used for.   Yes, there will be some great cel phone photos, but most of them come from an artist who could get more great shots if they used a decent camera!

4.  I appreciate the effort when friends post photos on email, or Facebook, no matter how crummy the photos are. It does not take long for my eye to scan 20 photos to see if there are some gems that I would like to examine more closely. I find it more pathetic when the same 5 Facebook friends post frequent text -based comments.

5.  Making a yearly home movie with a mix of photos and short video clips set to music is the best chance that amateurs like me will have their mediocre photos appreciated by friends and family. Post on Vimeo and send them the link.   That is a photo essay with a story!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
thenNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow