Perhaps a silly question on LR vs PS CS

Started Jun 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
goanna
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?
Re: Perhaps a silly question on LR vs PS CS
In reply to Kerry Pierce, Jun 25, 2013

Kerry Pierce wrote:

I'm a long time PS CS user and have dabbled with a couple of LR versions, currently LR 4. I'm not really understanding why LR is so popular, probably because of my inexperience with it.

But, my question to those of you who like and use LR, why does it seem so very limited to me? I realize that I can export my LR edits to CS, but to me, LR kinda seems like ACR with a database for file management and a few tools, prior to sending to CS.

Part of my problem is that I don't want/need a DAM. I just want an easy to use program devoted to photographers. CS has been the best that I've found for that, but after reading so many users that seem to like LR 4, I am thinking that I gotta be missing some special things.

I'd appreciate any help on figuring out what I'm missing.

thanks

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

I think philosophically, LR presents difficulty to some users until they "Get It".

It seems those who are very entrenched in the PS Interface and use some other DAM that they are happy with have more difficulty in "Getting It". It is a different paradigm and it is not (for most) either/or LR/PS but LR+PS(or other editor).

For yourself I would suggest you do not stress over "the grass must be greener on the other side because so many appear to like it" but continue to use your current workflow if you are happy with it.

To my mind, for myself, I would not like to contemplate a photographic world without LR (or very similar).

I would routinely only use a PS type of package for 1% of photos, the rest are done in LR, and for me, much quicker and easier with an modification history that is always available and reversable.

I would suggest with LR 5 that the above percantages may change to 99.5% Vs 0.5%

goanna's gear list:goanna's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow