Camera Wiith Video as Priority

Started Jun 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
lancespring
Senior MemberPosts: 2,506Gear list
Like?
Re: Camera Wiith Video as Priority
In reply to John Waine, Jun 25, 2013

John Waine wrote:

Lol no worries mate, i never liked math to begin with. As for the raw video, im assuming it works as any raw data in that you can output from premier to whatever codec/wrapper adobe supports. I keep my photos stored in raw format in case i want to tinker later but i would definitely want to compress the video to save space. H.264 is lossless no?

Well, but I was not talking about using the RAW video option earlier on the Blackmagic Pocket camera. I was talking about how bad even just using the compressed Apple ProRes 422 ( HQ ) option is with disk space, compared to camcorders that record to AVCHD or H.264.

I honestly forget how bad it is when shooting RAW on the Blackmagic. I recall looking it up when the Blackmagic cameras first came out, and remember that it was quite an insane amount of disk space. That is why the original Blackmagic cinema camcorder uses big SSD disk drives for storage. But since I find even the smaller compressed Apple ProRes 422 ( HQ ) files to be objectionably long, it really does not matter to me that the RAW files are much worse.

My Panasonic and Canon camcorders both record HD in AVCHD at 24 Mbps. Just going from using those camcorders to my Panasonic GH3 recording H.264 MOV at 50 Mbps has been a large and noticeable jump for me. File sizes have doubled, and rendering times have increased. And my SDHC cards now record half the amount of time that they used to.

Going to the 220 Mbps Apple ProRes 422 ( HQ ) option on the Blackmagic would be another 4.4 times increase for me beyond what even my GH3 produces. I'm sorry, but that is just way too much data to deal with. It is certainly not for me.

Take a look at GH3 footage on the Internet, or from other professional camcorders that record at 50 Mbps, like Canon's high end XF professional series camcorders, or Sony's XDCAM PMW series camcorders. All of these cameras produce stunning video that does not require using massive amounts of storage. And recording at 50 Mbps also meets the highest television broadcast standards too.

lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow