Started Jun 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
harold1968
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,687Gear list
Like?
Canon 6D Dynamic Range - Practically speaking
Jun 25, 2013

There was a heated debate in another thread which has now become full.

It ended with an allegation that under extreme duress the 6D file bands (or I would say falls apart) and the D800E doesn't.

Having shot the D800E extensively, and it is one of the best sensors ever made, of that there is no doubt, I said that the 6D's was surprisingly good and didn't restrict my work. I certainly didn't feel much difference in usage to the D800E. Note that I am not saying the D800E's isn't slightly better, all I am saying is that for real world usage it doesn't effect what I want to photograph or how I shoot. The difference is now really marginal between top 14bit sensors. I don't expect a big jump until we start getting 16bit, or even 32bit sensors (I can hope !!).

This is compared to, say, the dynamic range of M4/3's sensors I have used (pre-OMD) which were unacceptable IMHO.

Without getting into technical details, and doing silly things like pushing 10 stops, I just wanted to show a simple example I took today.

Please note, that whilst I played with shadows, highlights, contrast and clarity in Lightroom, I did not treat any area of the picture differently (i.e. no masks, lines or sectors).

Also note I am 100% amateur and don't do pro laser tests in clean rooms, etc,etc,

Original picture as it came out of the camera:

After some sliders:

If anyone needs more then this in real life I'd be very surprised.

The 6D and 24mm f1.4 II and 50mm f1.2 lenses are the producing the best picture quality I have seen, this side of the Leica 35mm Summilux.

On a lighter note, this is the 6D's shadow detail being put to a more practical usage:

best rgds

-- hide signature --

harold.co.il

harold1968's gear list:harold1968's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Sony RX1R Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
notNew
yesNew
TrueNew
YepNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow