Started Jun 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
bobgeorge
Contributing MemberPosts: 589Gear list
Like?
Re: Scott Kelby - Crushing the Composition
In reply to sshoihet, Jun 25, 2013

sshoihet wrote:

bobgeorge wrote:

For those that have watched the video...what did you think? I understand the theory, but it seems like he just takes a lot of shots to get the few he uses. I also found it interesting that he said he only travels with one lenses...a 28-300 (approx 13:30 mark).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpHMuK7Htic

-- hide signature --

BobGeorge
--------------
Nikon D600
Visit my Flickr page.

Realistically,  it's how many photographers work. I work the same way much of the time.

You try a lot of shots until you zero in on what works; it's an evolution at perfecting your image.  It's not unusual to spend an hour shooting the same scene with different perspectives.  Have a look at how many frames are shot for fashion or for a national geo article.  One article I read recently estimated that an average photo shoot requires 750 frames to produce 1 image.  NG photographers routinely produce ~15K images for a 20-30 shot piece.

Does it matter how many shots you need to get the one you want?  The important thing is that you get it.  Whether it takes 1 or 50, why stop before you get it?

Good points.  I do remember reading that SI reviews approximately 30K shots to decide which ones go in the weekly magazine.

-- hide signature --

BobGeorge
--------------
Nikon D600
Visit my Flickr page.

bobgeorge's gear list:bobgeorge's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow