Why is my NEX not as good as RX100 or even LX5?

Started Jun 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
hyenadog
Contributing MemberPosts: 750
Like?
Re: Why is my NEX not as good as RX100 or even LX5?
In reply to telefunk, Jun 25, 2013

the nex kit lenses (esp. the PZ) are poor, especially at the top end.  many of the sony primes for the NEX are also average at best and some poor ... if you can borrow a Nikon 50mm MF prime and stick it on a $10 nex to Nikon adaptor and see what the nex can do with a decent lens on board.

My PZ kit lens is so soft  (even stopped down) at the top end its a joke (a bad one) .. but a 30 year old 50mm prime on it and the camera is transformed and (although man focusing is difficult opened up) producing great tack sharp pics time after time ...

For the life of me (unless the majority of nex owners are zoom addicted point n shooters) I cant understand why Sony doesn't knock out a cheap 85 to 100mm f2 or f2.8 prime - they are so easy to design well /cheaply(relatively) ...  and it has a ton of decent Minolta IPR to help it out  .. the 50mmf1.8 SEL isn't bad but its priced way over the top for the quality of it compared to Nikon/canon etc

I can see the NEX platform moving in to in camera stabilisation (it has Minolta IPR for this after all) opening up 3rd parties like sigma to port their portrait/telephoto primes across to the NEX platform (need stabilisation really) wont help the rest of us with NEX->7

but hey come on sony give us a prime or two .. even if its just for the memory ...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow