Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lukas0101
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?
MFT vs DSLR opinion
10 months ago

Some reviews claim OMD sensor closing the gap etc.  I tested both MFT and DSLR and they are not close. It's obvious once you handled both- image quality is only comparable at 200 ISO. The rest is downhill for MFT. MFT appears to have more luma noise where APS-C sensors have more chroma noise.  Luma noise distorts shapes and textures where chroma affects color, I prefer chroma noise myself.

I also believe that olympus is fooling DXOmark ISO test. There's no way OMD sensor is better at low light than Canon's 18M sensor. It's at least one to two stops behind at high ISO (and yes, I was pixel peeping).

In addition to trailing low light performance contrast detection AF it is no where fast enough for moving subjects such as kids or people walking.

To summarize clear reasons for getting MFT is size, weight and quality wide primes while at the same time giving up shooting moving subjects (unless you are OK with high miss rate) and compromising on quality due to noise.  I realize this is not an original observation, however I though I post it here because I read many reviews that make reader feel that MFT is close in quality where this is only true for still subjects and low ISO shots.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow