Camera Wiith Video as Priority

Started Jun 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
lancespring
Senior MemberPosts: 2,406Gear list
Like?
Re: Camera Wiith Video as Priority
In reply to John Waine, Jun 25, 2013

John Waine wrote:

Very true about the file sizes. My x900 churns out 24mb/s on 1080p mode which ends up being 90gb of disc space per hour.

John: I do apologize, but I must point out that your math here is totally flawed.

24 megabits per second = 3 megabytes per second. There are 8 bits in a byte. Multiply that by 60 seconds in a minute, and then another 60 minutes per hour, and the disk storage used up is only 10.8 gigabytes, not 90 gigabytes.

Not quite as bad as raw but you can also use h.264 on the BM to save space.

I've not seen any specs posted for the Blackmagic Pocket camera anywhere that mentions an option to record to H.264

Where did you hear that it offers that option? What sort of bit rates did it say will be supported? Will it be wrapped in a MP4 or MOV container?

All specs and press releases that I have seen for the camera only mention recording in RAW, and the Apple ProRes 422 ( HQ ).

In fact, I just checked the Blackmagic Design website, and once again, they only mention two recording options on the Specifications page for the camera: Raw and the Apple ProRes 422 ( HQ )
Here is a screen shot of the info on that web page:

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicpocketcinemacamera/techspecs

lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow