Which Camera? The one that helps you tell stories like these...

Started Jun 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,865Gear list
Like?
Which Camera? The one that helps you tell stories like these...
Jun 25, 2013

I've reiterated on this forum how the best photos are those that tell the most interesting stories.  This has little to do with the technical prowess of the camera equipment used.  I'm nowhere near the level of accomplishment at storytelling, so I find myself geeking about in search of an objective, rational key to that latent gift I know is inside me. You may know that impulse, and might have realized it along with a somewhat sheepish feeling.

A photographer by the name of Pascal Riben just published a gallery of monochrome images of Venice in the Landscape Forum that perfectly illustrate the art of photographic storytelling.  Almost every one of Pascal's images are intriguing, many capture delightful little surprises that punctuate the composition with grace and clarity. So very many are marvelous tales told in a single frame.  The fact that almost all are technically well executed only increases one's delight.  This is what I would aspire to and I would hope all of us would want to strive towards.

Begin your journey here. Once you're done, browse the rest of his gallery website.  His Portfolio  and About Color galleries are simply amazing.  I've seen few other photographers with this sense of composition, juxtaposition, whimsy, and craft.  Art Wolfe has a similar ability to strip the scene to its essence. Ming Thein has a similar gift for marrying the geometric and organic in street-style photography.

What equipment did Pascal use? That's the point.  We don't know, and he doesn't say.  He doesn't have to. ANY reasonably recent camera could have produced these results.

Cameras can't see. People can. Combine the two, and pictures sing.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow