Started Jun 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
Windows on the Mac
Jun 24, 2013

My new (well, refurbished) 21" iMac is supposed to be at the Apple Store for pickup today so I ordered a bundled Windows 8/Parallels kit for those apps that I cannot run under OSX. Fortunately there are not many.

But I have been wondering. I know I can install Windows to boot using Boot Camp and I can install Windows to run under Parallels, but can I use the same Windows disc to install both? The Windows disc is OEM so it should be tied to a single motherboard and so it seems like it should work, but what about Activation? If I install Windows to use with Boot Camp, and activate it, can I also install it under Parallels and activate it? Or do I have to choose one way or the other?

My use of Windows should be limited to those applications where I either don't have (and don't want to pay for) the mac app (I have PhotoShop CS5, not CS6, so I cannot get the Mac version unless I upgrade) or where there is no Mac version available (I use SNS-HDR for my HDR imaging and that there is no Mac version). Given that, if I have to choose one method, I would choose Parallels, but I would like to know if I can use the same disc for both installations.

Thanks.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow