Time to buy a new machine for editing. Needing advice please.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
theswede
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,936Gear list
Like?
Re: Time to buy a new machine for editing. Needing advice please.
In reply to noirdesir, 10 months ago

You mean when you buy a 10-seat Windows server license, it doesn't matter how many computers you actually serve with it (as long as they all are just used by you)?

Strictly speaking, all you need is one license, according to the law. You're allowed to make as many personal copies as you like, this is well established in copyright law in the US and elsewhere. You can't negotiate away a legal right in a license, much as the major companies try it.

In practice this has not been court tested, and of course Microsoft do not act as if the law really says this. But then, they wouldn't, would they?

But disregarding that; I wouldn't use that kind of reasoning anyway. I buy one license per system I put them on. And since I do that, who is the damaged party if I buy an OSX license and install it on non-Apple hardware? Who is hurt by that? Where lies the "wrong" in doing so, the harm inflicted, the loss incurred on Apple?

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony SLT-A37 Sony 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow