Started Jun 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Rudi
Contributing MemberPosts: 629
Re: Walk before you run
In reply to Just another Canon shooter, Jun 24, 2013

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

Laurence Matson wrote:

but rather that it sees distinct colors at each spatial location where three pixels scrape together the electrons - simplistically speaking, dead photons (one step beyond Einstein's Nobel Prize winner - at each layer and come up with three sort of distinct numbers, which can be turned into a specific color.

The problem is that it sees "the wrong colors". Three distinct, yes, but not the right three distinct. It has great spatial resolution bit poor, and wrong spectral one. You, and most people here are missing the point - it is about the spectral, not about the spatial resolution. Imagine a uniform colored surface: the Foveon sensor would have hard time recording the color we see, while the Bayer one would get much closer.

I do not think it makes sense to get into a VFA vs. CFA argument. I am not sure how you can define the distinct colors as wrong (or right).

The 3D color space they span (in the infinitely dimensional color space in nature), how close it is to the human color space.

So the key is not that the Foveon imager can see more colors but rather that it theoretically can distinguish colors accurately, with a caveat on all of the last part of the phrase.

Exactly the opposite. The spectral properties of the layers are much worse than those of the CFA filters, relative to the human vision.

This is not true in my experience and from what I know. What is your source for that specifically relating to the theories behind the Foveon imager?

Bob's post or this, for example.

Where the Bayer process relies on a brilliant method of exploring the surrounding pixels to determine what belongs between two good signals, the Foveon process relies on accurately interpreting collected information. Both are forms of interpretation, if you will.

Again, that is spatial resolution, not spectral one.

I would argue that it is secondarily. First you have to have a color at a location.

No, it is primary for accurate color reproduction.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmadp1/20

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow