Started Jun 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Lin Evans
Forum ProPosts: 15,638Gear list
Re: Advantages of Foveon sensor
In reply to John Sheehy, Jun 24, 2013

John Sheehy wrote:

richard stone wrote:

Third, of course, it is clear, or it should be, to anyone reasonably informed on the matter, that the Foveon sensor is superior to the Bayer approach, photon losses, etc., notwithstanding: Read the free DP2M review by Michael Reichman on Luminous Landscape. The Foveon sensor is superior because in this case it can make images using an $800 camera that are equal to or better than cameras costing much more and which are much larger. Now, it might be possible to argue that the current best Foveon sensor and camera iteration is limited in some aspect or other, and that the cameras lack "features." That proves nothing beyond the obvious.

The real issue here is the viewer as much as the cameras. The bottom line is that some people can tell real detail from sharp artifacts, and others can't.

Just because someone has made a career of landscape photography, does not mean that they can tell the difference. They just get their well-chosen and well-timed landscape as apparently-detailed as they can, and that is all that matters to pedestrian viewers, who couldn't care less if a great part of the detail they are seeing is the pixel structure, and not the subject.

Hi John,

Even if what you are posing were correct - and I have serious doubts about that, then, in the immortal words of Bill Murray in Meatballs: "It Just Doesn't Matter."

I've used both Foveon and CFA based systems for a number of years to shoot fine art for numerous Fine Art rt gallery owners - These are some of the most discriminating clients in the photography business. I have "yet" to have one look at one of my Sigma prints and complain in any way about "artifacts" instead of "detail."  On the other hand, I have had "most" who were VERY impressed with the Sigma prints. In the vast majority of cases, they preferred the Sigma prints and that's without a clue which camera or sensor was used.

Anything else is only of passing interest to the photographer. It's where the rubber meets the road that is important.

Best regards,

Lin

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow