Started Jun 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Rudi
Contributing MemberPosts: 614
Re: Advantages of Foveon sensor
In reply to Just another Canon shooter, Jun 24, 2013

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

Rudi wrote:

The Foveon is able to give You all the values above, inbetween and below the RGB channels as a direct signal. No interpolation, no guessing or estimating.

It gives you the right RGB values in a wrong space. You are under the wrong impression that they are only 3 "basic" colors in nature, and the Foveon sensor can record them.

Imagine that there are 10 basic colors, we see C1, C2, C3 but your favorite sensor sees C2, C3, and C4.

Let me put it in a different way - there are many colors which we see differently, and the Foveon sensor would assign the same RGB values to them.

The CFA sensor works like that, the Foveon sensor gets the full spectrum from C1 to C4.

For the Foveon sensor it is like I wrote above all photons hitting the sensor are penetrating the silicon in different depths according to their wavelength and are captured with the responding value by the three sensing devices in the silicon according to their penetration depth.

...seems like I´m typing in the wrong language. So let me put it this way : "The Foveon is able to give You all the values above, inbetween and below the commonly used RGB channels as a direct signal. No interpolation, no guessing or estimating. It gives you ca. 10% more bandwith at the blue and the red end of the spectrum a CFA sensor usually captures."

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow