Walk before you run
In reply to Just another Canon shooter, Jun 24, 2013

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

Roland Karlsson wrote:

Bobn2 wrote:

What is a 'color gradient'?

To be more specific, what is a 'color'?

A good question.

For an RGB image, a color is an RGB triple in some color space.

In nature, "color" has infinitely many components, it is a "spectral density". Each sensor, Foveon or not, projects it on a 3D space in some way. So does the human eye. Bob's point is that Foveon senors have color vision farther away from the human eye than the Bayer ones. This has nothing to do with spatial separation. It is worse separation in another dimension, which is the spectral one.

If the Foveon sensors has a wider curve in the red part of the spectrum, this does mean that it can see "more colors" but also means that it cannot distinguish between them, like a B&W sensor (with no color filter). If that curve is significantly different than that of the human eye, then it is a poor approximation of the human vision.

Welcome to the Sigma Forum.

You need to read up a bit on how these imagers work. I think there are still some papers on the Foveon site. Otherwise, look up Dick Merrill, Dick Lyon, Paul Hubbel, Peter Manca, Rudy Guttosch for starters.

Not to be rude, but your second paragraph is a gem of fluff. There are "more colors" and specific wavelengths. I don't really see someone here is saying that a Foveon imager can see "more colors" but rather that it sees distinct colors at each spatial location where three pixels scrape together the electrons - simplistically speaking, dead photons (one step beyond Einstein's Nobel Prize winner - at each layer and come up with three sort of distinct numbers, which can be turned into a specific color.

I know, I know, I know, it is not that simple; otherwise, I would be doing what Eric M wants and rewriting Dave's code. But that is generally what goes on.

So the key is not that the Foveon imager can see more colors but rather that it theoretically can distinguish colors accurately, with a caveat on all of the last part of the phrase. Where the Bayer process relies on a brilliant method of exploring the surrounding pixels to determine what belongs between two good signals, the Foveon process relies on accurately interpreting collected information. Both are forms of interpretation, if you will.

Now Bob can shoot this down along with the others.

-- hide signature --

Laurence
laurence at appledore-farm dot com
"I thought: I read something in a book, I dream, I imagine, and it comes true. And it is exactly like this in life.
"You can dream, and it comes true, as long as you can get out of the certitudes. As long as you can get a pioneering spirit, as long as you can explore, as long as you can think off the grid. So much time we spend in our education, in our lives is spent learning certitudes, learning habits, trying to fight against the unknown, to avoid the doubts and question marks. As soon as you start to love the unknown, to love the doubts, to love the question marks, life becomes an absolutely fabulous adventure."
Bertrand Piccard, a Swiss person
http://www.pbase.com/lmatson
http://www.pbase.com/sigmadslr
http://www.howardmyerslaw.com

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow