What is the best non-Adobe photo processing software for Apple?

Started Jun 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Robgo2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,482
Like?
Re: Aperture questions
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Jun 24, 2013

MikeFromMesa wrote:

Steven Wandy wrote:

I assume you are making this statement because of all the comments about how Aperture's file organization is considered better than LR. It is not however "more for organizing". It is a full featured RAW and photo developer. Many people use these types of programs (Aperture and Lightroom), like me, to do 95% of their photo post processing.

A question about Aperture from someone who has never used it.

I am switching to the Mac and was wondering if Aperture would fill my processing needs. Does Aperture do masking? Layers? Is there decent lens distortion adjustment functionality? How is the noise reduction and sharpening?

Just wondering since I will need to either move my current Windows software over (LR, PhotoShop, PhotoNinja) or replace it with Mac specific software (Aperture, Pixelmator, ...).

Thanks.

You will have to get Mac versions of whatever software you want to use.  I don't know if your Windows licenses would be transferable to a Mac computer, but some companies might allow it, just as they allow their programs to be installed on more than one computer.  As far as Aperture filling all of your processing needs, that depends on your needs and your standards.  It is a lot like Lightroom, and neither is a genuine substitute for PS.  Furthermore, the quality of Aperture's raw conversions lags far behind Photo Ninja's.  Pixelmator, as far as I can tell, is a cute, but basic, program aimed mainly at graphic artists.  There's a good reason why it cost only $15.

Rob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow