What is the best non-Adobe photo processing software for Apple?

Started Jun 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Steven Wandy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,845Gear list
Like?
Re: Aperture questions
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Jun 24, 2013

MikeFromMesa wrote:

A question about Aperture from someone who has never used it.

I am switching to the Mac and was wondering if Aperture would fill my processing needs. Does Aperture do masking? Layers? Is there decent lens distortion adjustment functionality? How is the noise reduction and sharpening?

Just wondering since I will need to either move my current Windows software over (LR, PhotoShop, PhotoNinja) or replace it with Mac specific software (Aperture, Pixelmator, ...).

Thanks.

Hopefully someone else will correct me if I am wrong.

I don't believe that Aperture does masking & layers like you are thinking in Photoshop. It is not a pixel level layer. It can make selected adjustments using brushes and selections, but not using layers.

Noise reduction and sharpening are decent - not the best. A lot of people use plug-ins (I use Nik Software) if I need more of these than Aperture can handle. Supposedly LR is a bit better in these.

It has some controls for chromatic aberration and devigneting but not anything else. Again LR is supposed to be better at this.

When I switched from Windows (LR & PSCS5) to a Mac I went with Aperture and PS Elements 10 (which I switched to Pixelmator). Do probably 95% of my post processing in LR and the Nik pluggins that I have.

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow