Nikkor 18mm f4 AI sharpness on corners?

Started Jun 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
gammada
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
Re: makes no sense true
In reply to Bajerunner, Jun 23, 2013

Bajerunner wrote:

That makes sense if one needs wider than 18mm (27mm). Personally I think 18mm is wide enough for many applications, but probably yes, for architectural one may want wider.

The other thing is, I was also keeping my eye on 20mm 3.5's and similar, for a while. They go for quite a lot used, > 250. With the coming of the Nikon 18-35 new one, and the Sigma 18-35 1.8 for DX, at the prices < 800, and their 'reported' optical quality by the many reviews (albeit real life everyday photos still to be seen across the board like on pbase and flickr) I would surmise that the recent additions are now fair comparison and better value, considering.

So, I suspect that the prices of the older wides are going to take a big hit, especially for aps-c users who can get the new Sigma which has rave reviews and is 1.8 constant.

And as you see the postings on these board, the 18-35 Nikon is just as fast basically as the older f4 lenses, with great optical quality, for FF.

I think the older wides are about to take a dip on the used markets. Their attraction was prime quality at a low'ish' price.

But the two new zooms seem to compete very well. I was really not intending to get an APS-C only lens, but the new Sigma looks very interesting.

-- hide signature --

Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

I was looking at a recent posting here in Dpreview about the upcoming 18-35mm Nikkor, but it seems a little soft at f8 at the widest end (at least on APS-C sensors, the D800 seems to make a whole lot more out of it). While there, I spotted a Tokina wide angle lens that is pretty perfect on the corners but price goes up to $800

I usually don't venture off F8 due to diffraction limits.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow