wimberly or jobu

Started Nov 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
Michael Lane
Regular MemberPosts: 166Gear list
Like?
Own the BH-55, Wimberley II, and Jobu Jr. 3
In reply to General Toner, Jun 23, 2013

The heaviest lens I own is the Canon 400mm f5.6, but I use my gimbals for ease of tracking fast or constantly moving subjects, and the ability to rapidly switch from one position to the next. The gimbals allow me much more flexibility in these respects than the BH-55 (a great ball head).

I bought the smaller Jobu Jr. 3 for travel; however, I likely could sell the Wimberley, as the Jobu Jr. 3 is so well mated to the relatively lightweight 400mm f5.6. Both the Wimberley and the Jobu are great heads. I highly recommend each brand.

Points to consider, I much prefer the locking nobs on the same side, i.e. Wimberley-style. Also, the Jobu is slightly smoother than the Wimberley, but that might be the result of using such a large (Wimberley) gimbal with a relatively lightweight lens. Regardless, both gimbals are smooth and a pleasure to use.

Michael
Kane'ohe, Hawai'i

Michael Lane's gear list:Michael Lane's gear list
Canon PowerShot G2 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 550D +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow