Started Jun 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Lin Evans
Forum ProPosts: 15,644Gear list
Re: Advantages of Foveon sensor
In reply to Roland Karlsson, Jun 23, 2013

Roland Karlsson wrote:

Lin Evans wrote:

This is exactly the problem with the CFA sensor. If subtle variations of color are not captured - and they are often not captured with CFA sensors, then they can't be reproduced in the finished image or print.

That the camera is CFA does not necessary affect color accuracy.

You come to the Sigma forum with the attitude of a few others we see here who do not have and use Sigma digital cameras. You attempt to "school" us in what is wrong with the sensor which we use every day and have a great deal of experience with. Your "experience" is apparently based on what you have "read" elsewhere and not on your own experience. You have obviously not "seen" tests of color "resolution" between CFA sensor and Foveon sensors, some of which were done by dPReview and many others by various reviewers. You have evidently not see the very plain evidence for CFA sensor's inability to properly render red hues.

We tire here of having to constantly explain to non-Sigma users who visit this forum what everyone here already knows. If you hang around long enough, you "may" learn a few more things which you "thought" you already knew, but are quite mistaken about.

I and other forum members here have neither the time nor the inclination to educate every visitor who comes here to "straighten us out" about Foveon technology. You may "think" that you are correct because you have read "all about it" elsewhere. Until you actually "use" the cameras and put in the necessary time and effort to truly know what you are talking about, you are simply an irritation wasting our bandwidth with arguments which have already been discussed ad nauseum.

Lin

Own experience is a limited source of knowledge. The total amount of posters in this forum knows much, much more.

If "own experience" is a limited source of knowledge, then "zero own experience" is even a "more" limited source of knowledge with all other factors being equal.

Moreover, I agree with Bobn2. If the Foveon users of this forum have exclusive knowledge and exclusive vocabulary to express that knowledge, then this could be documented somewhere. Makes it easier to communicate.

There is nothing "exclusive" about the vocabulary - one only has to "google" the terms to gain an understanding. The terms used in the relevant discussion have been used for many years here and elsewhere and absolutely "nothing" has been "invented" here or is "exclusive."  Both the terms "and" the vocabulary are documented - right here on dPReview. One only needs to do the legwork to discover them. Of course we Foveon users "could" create a glossary of terms, definitions, assumptions, etc., and that would give visitors even more to argue about.

Frankly I'm getting weary of the same arguments and explanations to non-Foveon users who come here with "attitudes" and want to argue. I'm much more interested in the "results" of our work with Sigma cameras than I am with endless technical debates which actually, in so far as I'm able to determine, have yet to help anyone make a better photograph with or without a Sigma camera.

Best regards,

Lin

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow