This thread is locked.
Lin Evans
Forum ProPosts: 15,137Gear list
Re: Advantages of Foveon sensor
In reply to bobn2, 10 months ago

Bobn2 wrote:

Laurence Matson wrote:

Bob (if that is your name),

Hi Laurence (if you're not posting under a pseudonym)

Before we start up this old squeezebox, because you have decided to be all over this topic, and because you yourself once wrote:

"Better guide is what you yourself think about the cameras, try them see which you feel more comfortable with."

That is a something that I say often, and that I think is very important. I have no argument with anyone's personal choice of camera, or any reason that they choose it. These things are personal, and none of us has any right to question another's preferences. So, if someone prefers Sigma colours, or Sigma rendition, or anything else about their camera, that is their right and privilege, and you will not find me ever saying anything else. That, however is not what this thread is about. This thread is about what are the advantages of Foveon sensors. That is an objective, not subjective question, one of engineering fact, not personal preference.

What is you real experience with a Sigma (or Polaroid branded but really Foveon) camera?

Do you have any samples of what you got?

All of course irrelevant, since we aren't talking about cameras, just sensors.

Of course it's "very" relevant since, in the relevant sense, only Sigma cameras and one Polaroid model use Foveon sensors.

My list below with your annotations reveals a considerable lack of familiarity with terms commonly used in this forum for over ten years. Whether they are correct or incorrect is immaterial unless you understand the jargon.

The question would more be whether you understand the jargon.

I think Laurence understands the "jargon" very well Bob. But obviously you are having issues.

We can redefine everything for you again, and then we can get into arguments about the definitions, and ultimately recycle some very old discussions. Or, you could use the search function and do some digging yourself. Or you could just continue to poke with your skepticism and ultimately leave everyone frustrated.

In short, do some homework please. The dpreview function now works quite well.

For instance:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/8717374

Uses the term 'roll-off at edges' but is quite unrevealing about what it means, and has not much precise or meaningful.

It' is "very" precise Bob, but because you don't know and understand the term, your knowledge of how to relate to it is faulty.

Normally, I wouldn't bother to repeat what is quite commonly known here on the Sigma forum, but for your elucidation: Edge roll-off is a very simple concept. How many pixels are there which separate adjacent detail objects? If you photograph a very plain and featureless pure black object with sharp edges on a pure white and featureless backdrop, at the edge boundaries there is not a single pixel of black adjacent to a single pixel of white. There are a number of pixels, from the black perspective of varying shades of gray until finally a pixel of 255, 255, 255 white. If you make the identical photograph with a CFA based camera using identical focal length, identical pixel file dimensions, identical ISO, identical lens and other relevant settings, there will be fewer pixels separating the white and black with the Foveon sensor. This is irrespective of the AA filter which adds to the number of these pixels. The CFA process itself creates additional transiting pixels. The Foveon image is therefore sharper than the CFA image. It's been tested, measured and posted on this forum and discussed numerous times.

Lin

http://www.dpreview.com/search/forums?query=%22edge+roll+off%22&page=3&forum=1027

The search is similarly unrevealing about what is meant by 'edge roll-off'.

Then it's your search skills or the amount of effort you wish to put into finding it.

There is, admittedly, some confusion about what this means and it is related to acuity, but they are not pure synonyms.

So, then, what does it mean? What is it other than acuity?

-- hide signature --

Bob

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow