Started Jun 23, 2013 | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
philzucker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,144
Like?
Q/01: First shots
Jun 23, 2013

Here some of my first shots with the Q and 01 prime. Overall I like the handling of the Q and the sharpness of the 01 very much.

A note aside: I can live with the noise it produces at higher ISOs, and have to say that my Panasonic LX3 - a very fine enthusiast compact camera in its own - exhibits more noise at high ISO shots than the Q. It has a larger sensor with less pixels, but simply builds on older technology (the Q launched two and a half years later than the LX3). So maybe the Q is not up to larger sensor compacts nowadays, but for me high ISO quality in a compact just has become better! 

Without further ado some shots from the first days:

Market stands

Here the Q nicely handled the different light types and rendered good detail.

Flower

Very nice detail and bokeh in this one, also in #3:

Flower detail

The last one shows a colorful, tent like canopy at a local festival I visited today:

Canopy

Good detail and color rendition in this one.

What I particularly like about the Q are its full set of controls, including the two remote sensors, the interval timer, the centered tripod mount, the ability to change cards and battery while mounted on a tripod - and many more little things that just make it a very nice photographic tool.

But I would love to be able to assign the display brightness adjustment to the dial on the front. Like with the K-01 it's buried much too deep in the menus for my taste. Why nobody at Pentax is realizing that display brightness needs to be controlled directly and easily in a camera without a viewfinder is a mystery to me. Another thing I don't like is the missing rotation sensor - turning portrait oriented shots upright after importing is something haven't really missed with my other cameras ...

Okay, but apart from that, a really nice little camera!

Phil

-- hide signature --
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Pentax K-01
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow