Started Jun 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,727Gear list
Like?
SX50 and super stacking of the Super Moon
Jun 23, 2013

A little before 2 AM, I went outside to see if the Super Moon would give me any inspiration for a "different" image. As usual when I walk out the door, even in the dark, I can't help but notice the abundance of flowers in the surrounding gardens. And an idea was born. It took a little effort that entailed setting up a constant light source as well as hauling out a sturdy pro tripod that I could place low to the ground. But I think the resulting image was worth it.

Here is my version of tonight's Super Moon photographed with the SX50:

The Super Moon as seen from my gardens at 2AM on June 23, 2013.

This, of course, is a stacked image. The camera was set to approx. 300mm and focused on the Petunia at the closest focus distance. The constant incandescent lighting was set up at the upper right. Although the moon in the initial image was a blur of bright highlight, luckily the crossing blade maintained details and some color. Without moving the camera (the sturdy pro tripod was important here), and without the light on the flower, the focal length was increased to 1200mm, focus was now set on the moon itself and EC was reduced by -2 for the second image. Inside, both images were moved into Photoshop CS6 to be stacked.

It's a slightly different take on tonight's Super Moon that I hope you enjoy.

Ed

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow