Started Jun 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jordan Norris
Regular MemberPosts: 201Gear list
Like?
Canon FL 55mm f/1.2: First Impressions on X-E1
Jun 23, 2013

After DPReview bombing on me when I clicked "post" twice I'm not going to rewrite this again. So here it is and I'll throw in some thoughts :S.

Full size for 100% peeping, shot JPG with basic PP, all at f/1.2 unless otherwise stated(one shot). Don't mind the 35mm in the EXIF data, just forgot to put in the focal length info.

It's a bit of a beast at 480g but by no means too big and in practice has been fine to work with.

First tests around the house: not the easiest to focus at f/1.2, but practice makes better.

As you should be able to see, this lens is sharp at f/1.2... I think the only issues I've found have been user error, and perhaps some more extreme lighting situations can make a little harder on it.

Loving the extremely shallow DOF. I know the difference to some may not be huge between f/1.2 and f/1.4... but for me, with this type of lens, the faster the better when the results are sharp wide open.

This was the first shot that had me sold on the potential of this lens when critical focus is nailed.

Here you can see f/2 sharpening things up even more.

Though in this shot I missed focus and got his hands, you begin to see that this lens can do magic in lowlight. At f/1.2 combined with ISO 6400 my X-E1 can effectively see in the dark better than the 20/15 vision of my own eyes. I feel like I can't stress enough how dark and terrible the lighting was for this shot and the next.

Let me know if you guys have any questions, I just wanted get this up and share. Thanks for reading/looking!

A decent camera that is with me always, is much better than precision tool that I leave at home.

Jordan Norris's gear list:Jordan Norris's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow