Time to buy a new machine for editing. Needing advice please.

Started Jun 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,376
Like?
Re: Time to buy a new machine for editing. Needing advice please.
In reply to theswede, Jun 22, 2013

theswede wrote:

His advice is correct, especially for the average computer user. Besides, what you are doing is illegal.

It would be interesting to know which law it breaks. Last time I checked, if I buy some computer parts and an OS disk they are mine and it's my business what I do with them, as long as I don't share the contents with others.

Apple has traditionally maintained that all retail copies of Mac OS X are upgrades to the software – ROMs and OS – that came with a Mac.  The pricing seems to have been in line with this:

• 10.0 (Cheetah) – $129
  • 10.1 (Puma) – free (10.0 was probably a bit buggy)
  • 10.2 (Jaguar), 10.3 (Panther), 10.4 (Tiger), 10.5 (Leopard) – $129
  • 10.6 (Snow Leopard) – $29 for Leopard users, $169 for Tiger users (but for the $40 over the usual price, you got updated copies of iLife and iWork)
  • 10.7 (Lion), 10.8 (Mountain Lion) – $20 for downloaded upgrades, $70 for Lion on a USB flash drive.

Even if you took the most expensive upgrade here, and ignored the iLife and iWork packages that came with it, that would be less than what Microsoft wants for a full retail copy of Windows.  (For instance, Amazon charges $268 for a full version of Windows 7 Professional.)

If Apple were to charge Microsoft-style full version prices, the upgrade prices would need to go up – probably beyond Microsoft's, to compensate for the smaller user base.  When you say that you want a copy of Mac OS X, at current prices, to run on a Hackintosh, what you are really saying is that you want people who do purchase Apple hardware to subsidize your use of the OS.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow