Will Thom's prediction come true? Locked

Started Jun 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
diolus
Regular MemberPosts: 439Gear list
According to Thom..
In reply to bobn2, Jun 22, 2013

Let's look at another technology: three-layer sensors. Foveon was very early to this, and attracted a lot of attention from the camera makers. Foveon failed as acompany not because the technology wasn't good enough, but because of the company's method of "negotiating" with camera companies: they didn't get very far with their aggressive-American-with-patents approach. Coupled with their need to pay back venture capital, that put them very quickly in what we call Dead Man Walking status (enough money already in the bank or coming in via operations to stay in business, but no upside to pay back investors, loans, or grow).

Back when Foveon first appeared, I wrote that the company would fail. But I didn't write that the technology would fail. My whole point was that you can't be an aggressive Gaijin who overprices oneself to the Japanese. The Japanese don't like "outside" technologies that then indebt them to large, continued royalty streams. They absolutely don't like arrogant sales presentations that tell them that there are no other options and the way they're doing it is a dead end.

[Mod: edited to remove flamebait]

diolus's gear list:diolus's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow