What is the best non-Adobe photo processing software for Apple?

Started Jun 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
Re: Why on earth replace CS6?
In reply to DenWil, Jun 22, 2013

DenWil wrote:

If you liked CS6 yesterday your public search for an alternative is childish and contrived. ACR is separate and updates are independent of Photoshop, that in addition to the fact every camera you buy has a RAW developer. As an image editor your CS6 will work natively at least till the next incarnation of Apple architecture and if the number of folks happily still using CS3 is any indication, for years to come.

As a general rule I agree with you. As long as CS5 (which I have) or CS6 (which the OP has) continues to work for you, why replace it?

However I guess I need to take issue with your statement that ACR is completely independent of PhotoShop. While, in the strictest sense, that is true, it is also true that PhotoShop stops updating ACR for a specific version of PhotoShop when the next release comes out. I have not had an ACR update for CS5 in a long time and ACR updates for CS6 do not work for CS5. So the OP has a point. Once CS7 has been release one should not expect any further ACR updates for CS6.

As far as the idea that someone should use their camera-specific raw converter (presumably to produce a tiff) and then edit with their normal editor, that is not exactly a reasonable workflow. I use LR4 (or PhotoNinja or Pro 6) to process my Canon raw images. I do not first create a tiff in DPP and then process them in some other editor.

Just my opinion.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow