Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
frkm0005
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
A Moral Question
10 months ago

I shot a friend's baby shower last night with no expectation to get paid. It's a good friend of mine and he told me they didn't want to hire a pro but also wanted some photos from the event. I told him that I'm not a pro so I can't guarantee high level results, it's strictly a hobby for me. I decided to take the opportunity to rent some extra lighting and a D800E. I wanted to step outside of my comfort zone and take it as a chance to experiment and I was quite happy with the results. He now wants me to do some maternity photos for him. I don't feel like I'm being taken advantage of because more often than not I don't get the opportunity to shoot portraits and people. I took it as a win-win situation.

Well, I was out and about today with the camera doing some street photography when I bumped into a "pro". She didn't have a camera on her but we started talking because she's a Nikon shooter and she shoot events and street photography/documentary as well and was curious about the D800E. I told her that event photography isn't my cup of tea and i realized that at the baby shower. I also mentioned that it was a favor and I'm not expecting to be paid. Her demeanor took a bit of a turn. She started asking me questions like if I've had any formal training and if I know how to shoot in manual. Maybe she was curious because I said I don't enjoy shooting events but what lingered on my mind was something I heard about amateurs like me stealing the paid gigs from the pros and either doing it cheap or free. What are people's opinions on that topic??

I'm really curious to know if I crossed a professionally boundary. I have no issues using the equipment and if anybody is wondering: no, I have no formal training and yes, I can shoot in full manual mode. LoL

frkm0005's gear list:frkm0005's gear list
Nikon D90 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow