Does it make any sense to get the sel35f18 over sel24f18 when 24 mm is closer to what i shoot ??

Started Jun 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
beetle0042000
Regular MemberPosts: 251
Like?
Does it make any sense to get the sel35f18 over sel24f18 when 24 mm is closer to what i shoot ??
Jun 22, 2013

I am having a really tough time choosing between these two lenses.I know there have been countless such threads and have gone through all of them.But it still doesn't fully answer my question.

I mostly shoot landscapes and macros,some low light/night shots and occasionally take photos of relatives/pets.But mostly landscapes and macros.So far have been using the kit lens as well as the macro lens with both nex 3 and nex 5R.to be honest i don't dislike the kit lens.they are decent for most of my work except for low light shots and those occasional people shots i take.i really don't care abt the distortion or the CA or vignetting But i am lookin for somethin more than what the kit lens can offer.

I am not lookin for a lens that is super sharp or that perfect lens that doesn't have any vignetting, distortion or CA.I can live with all that.yes i would prefer the lens to be sharp( sharper the better) but i want a lens with a character.A few weeks ago i was on FM forum and came across this thread where people were posting photos which had a 3d pop effect to them.Am not just talking abt a good background blur and a very good bokeh but the subject had this 3d like pop and microcontrast to them.So in short i want a lens that offers good 3d pop, good colors, saturation and microcontrast.Now do these 2 lenses really offer than 3d pop most of the time?Now under ideal conditions even the kit lens can provide a bit of a 3d pop but happen only in few cases.

Now sel35f18 offers more subject isolation and better bokeh i believe.Also it comes with OSS which means i get lower iso shots because i can shoot at lower shutter speeds. i turned off the oss on my kit lens and the lowest shutter speed i can use without OSS at 24mm is 1/30 to 1/40.Also it offers better subject isolation for those occasional people shots i take.And it's a lot cheaper than the CZ.Only problem is it is not a do it all focal lenght.35mm is not really that ideal for landscapes. With my kit lens i usually shoot at 18mm or 55mm , never in between. usually i crop the images later during pp.So 24mm is closer to what i shoot.Having a 35mm means that i may only use it to take night shots of procession/festivals or while shooting portraits at home since i don't like changing lenses and 35mm may be too narrow for landscape which is what i do most of the time.On the other hand 24mm would be a good allround lens great for landscapes and good enough for portraits and night shots even without OSS but it's so expensive that if i go for this lens i would be hesitant to purchase the upcoming g zoom from sony.Am just a hobbyist who loves taking photos and not a pro.So can;t justify spending that much on both(24mm and upcoming g zoom) after just getting a 5R.ideal thing to do would be to wait till the g zoom comes out and then decide whether to go for the sel35f18 and g zoom combo or only purchase the sel24f18z. Unfortunately there is a lot of inflation in my country and the more i wait the more expensive these lenses become. i don;t even know when or if the g zoom will be released here.Also have an upcoming trip in oct.So what to do ???Pls somebody help me.

Below are some images taken with both lenses where i can see that 3d pop effect.Don;t know how much pp is done on these.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow