Some simple Mac questions

Started Jun 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,773
Like?
Re: Some simple Mac questions
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Jun 22, 2013

MikeFromMesa wrote:

I found my install DVD for LR4 but, when I looked at it in Windows Explorer, I could not find the Mac install stuff. The instructions on the DVD told me what to look for but I did not see it. I suppose it could be there and hidden from view on a Windows machine but I have my explorer setting set to hide nothing.

The DVD may have been mastered with multiple sessions, one of which contains a HFS+ volume (for Macs) and another of which contains a volume in some other fomrat (for PCs).

Also, a Mac OS X application file is not a single file, but an entire directory tree – one marked so that the Finder will pretend the tree is a fille, unless you ask it to "Show Package Contents". This allows an application to contain many independently-loadable resources, while storing them in a more standard way than the mechanism ("resource forks") previously used for this purpose.

Windows and Linux do not know about the Mac's "package" convention, so I would expect them to see a Mac OS X application (or other package) as being a directory tree.  No harm done, but if you were looking for a single file and you saw this tree instead, you might be confused.

I went to Adobe's web site as you suggested and entered my SN, but got back a web page telling me that it could find no matching documents. Perhaps you did not mean that I should enter my SN in the search box. Perhaps you meant somewhere else.

He doesn't mean that you should enter your serial number in the search box.

He means that once you have a copy of Lightroom 4 (the version you own now), from whatever source (disc or download) installed on your Mac, you should enter the SN you are now using on your PC copy of Lightroom in the SN dialog in the Mac version of Lightroom.

If it is the same version, the SN should work on both platforms.  I believe people have said before that Adobe allows you to have two installations of Lightroom, which can be on either platform (two PC installations, OR two Mac installations, OR one of each).  With Photoshop, they only allow your installation(s) to be on a single platform (go figure).

It does puzzle me. Why does Apple not include drivers to allow the Macs to write to NTFS? OK. I understand that it is not Apple's file system format, but if they put drivers on the system to read NTFS it seems silly to not have drivers that will allow writing to NTFS.

Of course perhaps I am missing something here.

According to Wikipedia, Microsoft does not publish details of its NTFS implementation – making it difficult for others to implement compatible filesystem drivers.

Wikipedia also reports that recent versions of Mac OS X contain hidden, undocumented support for writing to NTFS volumes.  Those who have turned this support on have found it to be full of bugs.

If I was an Apple Engineering manager, I would not approve the default enabling of a "allow writes to NTFS" feature that would result in frequent kernel panics – or worse, the corruption of customer disks.  It would be better not to have the feature at all than to ship THAT.  If the same code could do a reliable job of reads (which might be less tricky, and which in any case would not pose a data corruption threat to the source disks) – then yes, it might be useful to support them, even without the writes.

Also, Apple may be figuring that given the existence of FAT32, exFAT, and third-party NTFS drivers, it isn't that important for them to spend their time on making their own NTFS write code work.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow