Some simple Mac questions

Started Jun 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
Re: Some simple Mac questions
In reply to graybalanced, Jun 22, 2013

graybalanced wrote:

Macs and PCs both use standard TCP/IP so they can use the same cable/DSL modems, routers, switches, WiFi access points, etc. This is why it's possible for a library or coffee shop to set up a single router and not care what machines show up, they will all work. Macs, PCs, smartphones, tablets, game consoles...anything that uses standard TCP/IP networking can connect to a generic router and talk to any other machine on the network regardless of its platform.

It was never an issue of connecting both machines to my home router. I need to be able to talk to the internet on both and had not thought connecting to the router would be a problem. It was figuring out how to share each machine with the other. I know how to do that on Windows but OSX is new to me.

This is also possible in reverse, since you can turn on Windows/SMB file sharing from the Sharing system preference on your Mac, and then have Windows clients connect to that.

Thank you. That is what I needed to know about the Mac. Everything on the Mac is going to be a learning experience for me. It better not be true that "You can't teach an old dog new tricks".

MikeFromMesa wrote:

I am assuming that I will not need to use a dvd much since I almost never use it on my PC. However my Lightroom 4 stuff is on dvd and I will need that to install on the Mac. I had thought I would have to create an iso and stick that on a usb memory stick and copy it to the Mac. This might make things a bit easier.

You may not need the DVD to reinstall Lightroom. If you can still download Lightroom 4 from the Adobe server, all you have to do is plug in your serial number. That works when there is a trial version because the trial version is simply the real thing unserialized. The only reason I'm not saying that will work for sure is that now that Adobe is on Lightroom 5, they may have taken down the Lightroom 4 trial.

I found my install DVD for LR4 but, when I looked at it in Windows Explorer, I could not find the Mac install stuff. The instructions on the DVD told me what to look for but I did not see it. I suppose it could be there and hidden from view on a Windows machine but I have my explorer setting set to hide nothing.

I went to Adobe's web site as you suggested and entered my SN, but got back a web page telling me that it could find no matching documents. Perhaps you did not mean that I should enter my SN in the search box. Perhaps you meant somewhere else.

In the end I went to the Adobe chat and asked for a download link. They gave me one and I downloaded the Mac version. They also gave me a sales pitch about Adobe CC and, when I was not thrilled about that, gave me a sales talk about upgrading to CS6.

At the moment I have the Mac versions of most of my photo software stored in a folder on my Windows machine and will copy them to a memory stick for the Mac when I pick it (the Mac) up from the Apple Store.

This is going to be fun.

If you're talking about transferring photos instead, well, you can just use network sharing.

My biggest problem is going to be deciding what to do about all of my off-line photo storage. I copy the images from both my wife's camera and mine to my machine, process them to jpgs, put the jpgs on my wife's computer and put the raws on external storage. I don't keep them on my computer since they just eat up space. Since they are valuable (in the sense that they document our trips) I keep two off-line copies on two different discs, but both of those are NTFS formatted and, I found out, the Mac cannot write to NTFS discs. So I either need to buy some new discs, format them for FAT 32 and copy everything to them or I need to buy some drivers that will allow the Mac to write to NTFS.

It does puzzle me. Why does Apple not include drivers to allow the Macs to write to NTFS? OK. I understand that it is not Apple's file system format, but if they put drivers on the system to read NTFS it seems silly to not have drivers that will allow writing to NTFS.

Of course perhaps I am missing something here.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow