The whole question of lens sharpness...

Started Jun 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,979Gear list
Like?
Re: A different view ...
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, Jun 22, 2013

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Yes, it's true, some of us fringe types, (especially people who hang out at DPR) want a lot more than iphone quality. We've made the commitment in dollars and time to make our pics the best they can be.

But you have to spend increasingly large amounts of money to get ever slighter increases in quality.  You don't necessarily need "the sharpest" cameras and lenses or nothing else will do.  It only has to be good enough for the intended use.  I've got a number of poster-sized prints from myself or pro photographers, and as far as I know or can tell, nothing was over 20mp.  I guess they could have been sharper or more detailed, but yet, they still pried my money away from me.  So, at least as for a couple of the prints, a 12MP Nikon was sufficient.    And they are making money at this thing!  Photography is just a hobby, for me.  I can't justify a top-of-the-line expenditure. I've seen people with large bags, vests, etc.  What would I do with it all?  I already have multiple lenses, and feel like it's a bit much. What I have already does a good job.  So, it's really all relative, and depends on each individual.  But pursuing sharpness for sharpness' sake does seem like a bit obsessive.

I think part of why there's so much attention on sharpness is that it's easy to measure and quantify.  I also am interested in color and bokeh, and general usability.

1/4 size, taken with the elderly 35f2D.

Eh?

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow