Some simple Mac questions

Started Jun 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,789
Like?
Re: Some simple Mac questions
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Jun 22, 2013

MikeFromMesa wrote:

4) Is there any way to connect the PC and the Mac on my home network so that I could transfer files between them?

Macs and PCs both use standard TCP/IP so they can use the same cable/DSL modems, routers, switches, WiFi access points, etc. This is why it's possible for a library or coffee shop to set up a single router and not care what machines show up, they will all work. Macs, PCs, smartphones, tablets, game consoles...anything that uses standard TCP/IP networking can connect to a generic router and talk to any other machine on the network regardless of its platform.

MikeFromMesa wrote:

Najinsky wrote:

A friend wanted a folder of photos sent to his PC, here's all I had to do:

Thank you for this. It appears to be simple enough. Perhaps even I can do it.

This is also possible in reverse, since you can turn on Windows/SMB file sharing from the Sharing system preference on your Mac, and then have Windows clients connect to that.

MikeFromMesa wrote:

I am assuming that I will not need to use a dvd much since I almost never use it on my PC. However my Lightroom 4 stuff is on dvd and I will need that to install on the Mac. I had thought I would have to create an iso and stick that on a usb memory stick and copy it to the Mac. This might make things a bit easier.

You may not need the DVD to reinstall Lightroom. If you can still download Lightroom 4 from the Adobe server, all you have to do is plug in your serial number. That works when there is a trial version because the trial version is simply the real thing unserialized. The only reason I'm not saying that will work for sure is that now that Adobe is on Lightroom 5, they may have taken down the Lightroom 4 trial.

If you're talking about transferring photos instead, well, you can just use network sharing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow