Started Jun 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 10,906
Like?
Re: NTFS with Macs
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Jun 21, 2013

MikeFromMesa wrote:

noirdesir wrote:

There are two main alternatives for NTFS 'drivers' on the Mac, a commercial one from Paragon, and an open source one (and based on the open source version an enhanced commercial one from Tuxera).

I found these when I did a Google search but, since I know next to nothing about the Mac, I don't know if any of these are better than the others.

Is there any reason to use the commercial ones (that cost money) over the share ware version (which I assume is free)? Or any reason to use the $20 commercial one rather than the $15 one? Without any experience using them I have no idea if one is better than another.

The commercial ones tend have a better performance (time it takes to mount or unmount, actual read and write speed) and cover edge cases better. There are related tools that let you mount an FTP, WebDAV, S3 shares as local volumes (they all are based on FUSE), where I tried both open source versions and commercial ones and the commercial one was better at handling mounted shares when the connection is lost. In the end, if you need a tool regularly, it will be more likely that a slightly better performance and behaviour will be worth $20 to you. Try the free one and if it does the job for you, then there is no need to spend any money.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow