Do pixels matter? What 20" x 30" prints reveal.

Started Jun 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
primeshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,933
Like?
Yes. Yes they do.
In reply to LaszloBencze, Jun 21, 2013

LaszloBencze wrote:

I currently have a show of 38 20" x 30" prints appearing at the Viewpoint Photographic Art Center in Sacramento. Most of the pictures were taken with either a 5D MKII or 5D MKIII. However, some of them come from the Canon 1D MKII and 1DMIII which are not full frame and have about half the number of pixels of the 5D cameras (8 & 10 megapixels vs over 20 for the 5Ds).

What I noticed is that I could not tell which pictures were taken with the lower pixel count 1D cameras. They do not stand out as obviously inferior. In fact all the pictures look good and are indistinguishable in terms of sharpness or resolution.

Now I'm sure that there are benefits of the 20 megapixel cameras. And I do own two of them. But my point is that real life photo situations with large areas of bland texture or out of focus areas do not reveal such differences. This is a bit of a surprise for me but a reassuring one.

If you happen to live in the Sacramento area, you're welcome to look for yourself. The gallery is at 2015 J street and is well identified with signage.

Let me see here. If you cannot tell the difference between a 12MP image and a 36MP image at 20 by 30, you are blind! Yes, and you said do pixel's matter, what I have just said proves this point. Also, you have not considered that generally the more pixels, the higher the dynamic range. Certainly true for the new sony sensors in the nikons.

Put it this way, pixels will matter alot more when canon release a 40MP camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
auntNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow