Do pixels matter? What 20" x 30" prints reveal.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Per Inge Oestmoen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,638
Like?
Pixels do matter very much, but that is dependent on the subject
In reply to LaszloBencze, 10 months ago

LaszloBencze wrote:

I do completely agree with you and "canonero" above that certain types of subject matter will certainly benefit from more pixels and have stated as much in several replies.

However, my main point is that MOST pictures (and certainly most of the pictures I take) are not of this type. They do not have intricate textures or fine detail to resolve. So these types of pictures do not demand high megapixel counts to look good.

The answer to the question "does pixel number matter" depends entirely on subject matter!

That also means that it is not possible to say that "MOST" pictures do not need exquisite visual detail in the image. That is generally true for portraits and sports.
However:
For those who love landscapes and nature images, and who truly appreciate small nuances and subtleties in grasses, foliage, structures in stones and in the patterns of tree trunks - everything viewed both five feet away and nine inches away and everything in between, detail is alpha and omega. And then the number of pixels describing the subjects will be decisive.

Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
auntNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow