Looking forward to the impact the android-camera from Samsung may have...

Started Jun 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
call me Skippy
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?
Looking forward to the impact the android-camera from Samsung may have...
Jun 21, 2013

I was just glancing through the hands-on of dpreview: sure, I would never buy it at this stage, because of lack of control buttons and stuff. But, I really hope, Samsung thinks this through to the end and delivers a NX with android which is "a bit more camera". I dont mind using the camera to navigate or recieve e-mail - I have a phone for that- but in the future it might set a new standard for firmware and force other manufacturers to open their software. For example: Focus peaking is purely a software-thingie, if I understand correctly. I have to admit: I miss it on my OMD. Olympus will NEVER put it in a firmware-upgrade. And why should they: Better to keep it as a selling point for future cameras. So: the motivation grows to buy a new one. Which is quite annoying and makes me feel like a victim of marketing mechanisms. But with android I guess it would only be a matter of time, till someboy develops an app for it. Software-wise, the sky might be the limit in the future and your camera may gain new photography-related abilities during its lifetime. Like a smartphone, which really benefits from every android-upgrade.

The whole android-concept might have quite far-reaching consequences...I have to admit: If all goes well with this new concept, I might even be tempted to switch systems or let MFT fade out... The whole idea just seems so "consumer-friendly". I even would go so far as to call it a "game-changer" - IF Samsung sticks with it and really thinks it through...

Any thoughts?

call me Skippy's gear list:call me Skippy's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow