Give up on Aperture 4 and jump to LR5? Wait for new MB Pro?

Started Jun 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
UncleJJ
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
Give up on Aperture 4 and jump to LR5? Wait for new MB Pro?
Jun 21, 2013

I will be on a one year work assignment starting on late September on a remote part of the world. I'm taking my camera and expect to take plenty of photos while out there. At the same time, I will need a laptop and good photo management software to document all these photos.

I am now using Aperture 3.4 and have a huge library of photos on my Mac Pro (desktop). I would like to buy a new MacBook Pro (with some power) laptop and keep Aperture 3 for cataloging and editing my photos. I also use the NIK and Perfect Photo Suite plugins, which make editing photos great! Also, I know I will have fast-access internet where I am going (most of the time) So I will be able to stay connected and post to my Flickr page.

So my question, or request for suggestion is this: Should I stick to Aperture 3? or should I jump ship to the new version of Adobe's Light Room 5 that recently came out with some awesome bills and whistles? Do you guys think Aperture on Mac is dead? will Aperture 4 be out soon? will Apple even bother to overhaul Aperture in response to LR5? There was no announcement at the WWDC this year for new Aperture or iPhoto software... What do you think?

My second question is: Should I get the MacBook pro that is available right now? (looking to get something like a refurbished 15inch w/retina i7 16gb ram and 512GB SSD for about $2k from the apple store) or should I wait and see if by September Apple releases a new version of the MacBook Pro with some new toys and (hopefully) more power... What do you think?

I've been locked to the iOS/Apple ecosystem ever since I got an iPhone, then I got a Mac, then I switched all my stuff to be on iCloud, photostream, an iPad, and the rest is history. I am happy with apple and don't see myself jumping ship to back to Google/android or Windows; but I am wondering if I'm missing out on some of the powerful features from LR5, the much lower price of Windows laptops, and the wait for Apple to come out with game-changing software that may not be game-changing afterall?

UncleJJ's gear list:UncleJJ's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +5 more
Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow