Started Jun 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,404Gear list
Like?
Re: A different view ...
In reply to Jeff, Jun 21, 2013

Jeff wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

My advice to anyone on the fence would be to go for the highest MP body you can afford, then look for great cheap lenses to match if you're budget limited. They are out there in quantity, and you won't be disappointed. 4K monitors and big flat panels are here, and the more pixels the merrier.

I strongly disagree with this blanket advice. If maximizing detail is your thing -- I'm not judging, that's an interesting thing to do -- then fine.

It is indeed my thing and a whole lot of others, and the only sane reason to lug around four or five pounds of camera and lens and spend lots of time and money on hard and software :^)  Also microcontrast and overall "pop" which gets better as you go up the chain.  Even a casual snapshot take on a whole new intensity. ( not my shot.)

I'm well aware that many a great pic has been produced at 12MP, but things look noticeably sharper at 24 or 36 at just about any magnification, including portraits and so forth.  It's a paradigm shift, and when you do eventually get a high MP camera, your old 12 and 16MP won't look as sharp to you in retrospect.  Back a few years, it was widely intoned that 2 to 4 MP was all that was ever necessary.  I wish I had all the shots I've taken at various incredible places at 6 or 8MP to do over.

But for a large range of situations, 12-16MP and a couple of couple of lenses will give you plenty of resolution work with, whether you're interested in printing or electronic meda. Get the camera and a quality lens or two best suited to capturing the images you care about, whether that means street, landscape, portrait.

Great photography need not be an expensive hobby. Look at the thread "I Almost got punched out" for what you can do with one body and a basic lens or two....

That is true.  Compared to fishing and golf, the price of admission to high res landscape and wildlife photography now stands at about $2000 using a D7100 and a couple of cheap primes, it's a handful of hay :^)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow