Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
Some simple Mac questions
10 months ago

Thanks to all of the help I received on this forum I have now ordered my first Mac (21.5" iMac, 2.9 GHz i5, 16 GB Ram, Fusion Drive) and am waiting for it to arrive at the local AppleStore. While trying to get things ready for it (checking to see what software I can convert from Windows to the Mac and what I need to buy) I realized I still had some questions. Some of these are pretty simple and perhaps I should know the answers, but I don't.

1) Does the Mac need special formatting for external usb drives? Or can it read/write to those drives I have formatted for NTFS?

2) Can I download Mac versions of software to my PC now, stick them on a flash drive and then copy them to the Mac when it arrives? Or will the software need to be downloaded directly to the Mac? I suppose this is a variant of the first question.

3) How would I copy stuff from dvds to the Mac since the iMac does not have a dvd reader? Can I create an iso file on the PC and put that on a flash drive? Is there some special software that I would need for the Mac to understand an iso file format from the PC if copied to a flash drive? Or is there some special Mac/Windows app that I would need to use? Or do I just need to copy the dvd contents, as folders and files, to some cloud storage and then download it?

4) Is there any way to connect the PC and the Mac on my home network so that I could transfer files between them?

5) Thunderbolt is supposed to be twice as fast as usb 3.0. Is that a real differnece? Or are they actually so close in practice that I should just stick with usb 3.0? Thunderbolt drives are very expensive.

Thanks. I think this change-ver is going to take a lot of my time, but I also think it is going to be a lot of fun.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow