Is the LX7 really this competitive with the NEX 3N (with kit zoom)?

Started Jun 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MiceAndIce
Forum MemberPosts: 76
Like?
Is the LX7 really this competitive with the NEX 3N (with kit zoom)?
Jun 21, 2013

I've been happy with the LX7 I've had for a couple of months. But 10mp doesn't give much room for cropping when I want to occasionally print A4, 3 and sometimes even 2 (less than true photographic quality, though). And without a bounceable flash, I've come up against the limitations with noise in dark shots at ISO 800 and above. Everything else about the camera I love.

With a semi-unexpected trip to Asia comign up, I decided to see if it was time to move up to a CSC. Although I prefer rangefinder style bodies with an EVF, the NEX 3N beat out the micro 4/3 competition with sensor advantages, collapsable zoom (I'm not one to carry any extra lenses around), and price.

But aside from some better jpeg processing, shallower DOF, and color balance and smoothness of tone, I'm not finding many advantages. I'm hoping someone can point out what I'm doing wrong.

Obviously the LX7 lens is much brighter than the 16-50 kit on the NEX. But from comparisons I was expecting the 3N to more than make up for it with it's much more capable sensor and cleaner high ISO handling. And really, I have no problem with ISO 3200 (at least compared to 400 on the LX7), it's the consistent softness that concerns me.

Is it a focus issue? Lower in camera sharpening? Less capable image stabilization on the Sony 16-50 power zoom lens?

NEX 3N - 1/15th, f5.6, ISO 3200... focus peaking showed correct focus plane, I think

LX7 - 1/10th, f2.3, ISO 400

Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow