Started Jun 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Aspenz
Contributing MemberPosts: 673Gear list
Like?
Spoilt by the V1?
Jun 21, 2013

Sometimes, I find that I might never be able to use another camera again. The V1's a combination of lightweight and superb focus speed and accuracy. I mean, we usually take for granted how fast the 1 system focuses but just how fast is it?

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NIKONV1/NIKONV1A6.HTM

The website provides many comparisons with detailed information. A quick summary as follows:

Single centre point AF: 0.097 second!! (That's just shockingly fast, in fact, it's a mile ahead of all the other mirrorless cameras and I haven't been able to find a DSLR, professional or entry that's faster than it for this category so far! In an almost bullying sort of situation, Canon EOS M takes 0.993 second, 10 times slower.)

Full Autofocus,
Auto-area AF mode: 0.234 second (Very fast, probably within top 5 of all mirrorless cameras, only noticed OMD5 with the other kit lens and NEX7 and I think one panasonic that's faster, on par with most DSLRs as well.)

Continuous AF: 0.100 second (Easily the fastest for mirrorless, with OMD 5 tailing behind at 0.158. While DSLRs mostly range from 0.04-0.08 second, I'd say from personal usage that the hit rate of the V1 is very much decent.)

The 1 series is often attacked for its inherent sensor limitations but just how bad is it?

The high quality dynamic range (noise within desirable levels) of the JPEGs is 5.85, but this increases by 2.5 stops(!) to 8.42 by using RAW, yet another reason to stick to RAW as much as possible. Comparatively, the OMD 5 and NEX 7 are at 9.19 and 9.38 respectively. I'd say it's not too much of a difference to get worked up about. It wins the older Micro4/3 cameras and a few Samsung cameras by a fair bit.

Yeah, some of you probably already knew all these, but I guess a feel-good thread is overdue when it comes to the 1 series and its sheer number of attackers.

Aspenz's gear list:Aspenz's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +3 more
Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow