Ya' gotta' love a super zoom when it can be used to "Super Zoom"!

Started Jun 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim N'AZ
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,233
Like?
Ya' gotta' love a super zoom when it can be used to "Super Zoom"!
Jun 21, 2013

Took my pup outside tonight b4 sundown and saw the bright and nearly full moon just hanging out up there. Soooo, went back inside and fired up my SX30, turned CHDK/Raw on and, for the very first time, turned on DZ to max @ 2.1 just to experiment. When I came back outside, my dog was still there, and so was the moon! I waited quite awhile for an airliner to pass the moon for my shot, but no luck. Sat back and rattled off several exposures. I ended up using spot metering and full zoom and liked this one the best out of the half dozen I shot tonight, even tho it is/was a DNG and hence no digital zoom applied to this one. The DZ .jpeg files were too riddled w/noise to even compare to the raw files from CHDK.

I understand that the moon will be 7% closer to earth this Saturday and is supposed to look (to the naked eye) even larger on Saturday.

It is commonplace to see such shots these days and the plethora of excellent SV cameras makes it a snap to shoot them handheld. Even better to shoot the quarter moon, but I was taken by this particular moon tonight.

Aaargh, Just noticed that DPR softened this shot quite a bit Look at the Original size for more clarity.

Regards, Jim

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow