Started Jun 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
betterthansome
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Seriously contemplating switching to Nikon
Jun 21, 2013

I'm a busy on staff photographer for an apparel company.  I shoot studio and outdoors.  I've always shot Canon.  I just finished an outdoor shoot under less than optimal conditions with my regular 5D (since 2006!!) and a rented 5D3.  Off camera flash with subjects in shade when possible with direct sunlight in the background.  It was hell making it look natural with the short amount of time I had.  I pushed and pulled the raw files to thier breaking point and it makes me wonder if  the Nikon and it's increased DR would have made a difference or not.  To be sure I'm going to be doing some tests in similar conditions, but I want to know if there is anything I should know about regardnig the D800?

Color cast problems?  AF issues?  Bad metering?

I know the original 5D so well that the confusing  (for me) new layout of the 5D3 and the raves I've heard about the D800 make me think it might be a good time to switch.

Also lenses, are they pretty much apples to apples in quailty and price or what?  IQ compared to Canon?

I realize there are probably numerous threads that are similar to my questions, but I wanted to ask to get current opinions from shooters and not a salesman.

Thanks in advance

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow