Started Jun 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Steve Balcombe
Forum ProPosts: 10,612
Like?
Re: Canon 200-400 f/4 reviewed by "Chasseur d'Images"
In reply to dhogaza, Jun 20, 2013

dhogaza wrote:

Steve Balcombe wrote:

I remember reading a claim, years ago, probably on this forum, that two stacked (external) 1.4x TCs can give better IQ than a 2x TC but I would have no idea where to find the thread now.

I've seen images with the 600/4 IS II and 2x MK III that are fairly stunning, so I doubt that stacking two 1.4x's would be better than the new doubler. It's no secret, though, that for ages doublers really sucked.

As far as stacking two 1.4x's vs. the internal TC and one 1.4x, I would expect the former to vignette noticeably more. For one thing, with canon TCs you need an extension tube as a spacer due to the protruding nose. The other thing is that protruding nose is no longer stuck up the rear of a telephoto, which I've read is thought to help reduce vignetting.

As I said this was years ago - not with MkIII Extenders. I thought I'd mention it because it was a surprising result (if true) but it probably has little or no relevance here.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow