SX50 to replace underused d40 kit w/ 55-200 zoom lens?

Started Jun 20, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mellex
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
SX50 to replace underused d40 kit w/ 55-200 zoom lens?
Jun 20, 2013

Hi --

Truly struggling and would love guidance. Amateur nature photography (have gotten great compliments on landscapes as well as zoom birds and such) and family photographer. HOWEVER --  find the zoom when on hikes never really is zoom enough to catch what I'd like but no way can't get a giant zoom lens, nor would I carry it on a hike. Also find I loathe to carry the d40 kit, stopping to change lenses, stopping to change back (and no, cannot afford something like a 18-200 lens, AND, that still only gets me 200mm tops).

So considering selling and buying a bridge camera. Looking at lumix fz200, fuji xs-1 and all -- any site that compares gives the SX50 a win cuz of the mega zoom. But I keep being warned that it's "slow", and low light is an issue. I'm not a pro -- I AM an avid amateur, but am finding I leave the zoom lens at home on a hike cuz nature tends to be too far away even for that. Is the IQ so much less than a dslr that I'll kick myself if I sell? Or, the fact that I'm leaving the zoom at home anyway (use in the backyard for some shots) mean I'd not suffer too much. I'm not printing for galleries - I have occasionally printed a nice 8x10 of lighthouses and/or zoom nature shots but that is as high as I'd go. I do like some macro stuff too.

I just don't want to sell to get a bridge and really regret it - and no, I cannot do both. Need to sell one for the other. So I'm trying to find a crossover camera that kind of "does it all" without losing too much of the image quality.

Is the SX50 a good option? Really appreciate input and advice in any way. Or if there are other suggestions. Can't spend $1000, but can't go up to $500-$600. I like much of the sx-50 reviews and comparisons everywhere -- get nervous about its ability to shoot, say, nice shots of our kid, close-ups, etc.

Again, thanks in advance!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D40
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow