Time to buy a new machine for editing. Needing advice please.

Started Jun 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,470
Like?
Re: Comparing the Retina and non-Retina MBPs
In reply to gdourado, Jun 20, 2013

gdourado wrote:

The thing is that I read the 21.5 has a better screen, with less reflections.

Is that true?

What would be the better choice?

To the best of my knowledge, the latest iMacs (21.5" and 27") are glossy, like the Apple Cinema and Thunderbolt displays. But the iMacs have a new screen construction that cuts reflections way down - and the standalone displays do not.

I would suggest alternatives to both choices:

(1) Instead of a high-end 21.5" iMac with an Apple upgrade to 16 GB of RAM, consider a low-end 27" iMac and a third-party 8 GB RAM module. This gives you a bigger screen and the ability to install up to 32 GB of RAM later. Plus, the savings on the upgrade to 16 GB of RAM pays for almost half of the screen size upgrade.

(2) Instead of a Mini and a 27" Thunderbolt monitor, consider a Mini and a high-quality third-party 27" IPS DisplayPort monitor with a matte/anti-glare screen. The Thunderbolt monitor has a nice docking port arrangement, but if you're not planning to use it with a notebook, that's redundant for you. The screen is high-quality, but if you're willing to spend $700 to $1400 on a screen, there are other choices that have better stands, less gloss, and/or more calibration support that may better suit you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow