Canon 24-70 I USM f/2.8 Lens

Started Jun 19, 2013 | Questions thread
carnac
Regular MemberPosts: 413Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 24-70 I USM f/2.8 Lens
In reply to Deb2076, Jun 20, 2013

First, I was not saying that you should change from you 500D (Rebel T1i), only that I was very happy with the 17-55/f2.8 IS on a SIMILAR slightly larger crop body (my 30D and 50D).

All being equal; price and condition wise, I would choose the 17-55 over the 24-70 for use on any APS-C crop body Canon. The current referb Canon price for the 17-55 is about $800 and for the 24-70 about $950. If you are getting the 24-70 for substantially less; then it may be the way to go. Going with the 24-70 is also a good plan if full frame is something you are planning soon.

As for issues with the 24-70, I have been very happy with mine. I do wish it had IS. The f2.8 is a plus. I like the that the front extends when going from 70 to 24 (opposite of most zooms) as that makes the hood more effective over the entire zoom range. It is very well built (built like a tank is a term often used). I have found the lens is very sharp in the center and good sharpness on the edges.

Don't get me wrong about the weight - it is NOT too heavy to use or carry in any way. However - it is much heaver than non-L lenses of similar focal length. Some people do not like the balance of a larger lens with the smaller Rebel sized cameras. I was surprised at the heft even on my gripped 5D.

I think you will be very happy with the 24-70. It is a great lens.

-- hide signature --

Jim 'Carnac' Carnahan

carnac's gear list:carnac's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow